Here's a little bit about me...
What I've Achieved
- Grew San Francisco Travel's social media audience to more than 1 million followers on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, one of the largest social media communities in the Travel DMO industry
- Increased website traffic by 61% to 8.5M annual sessions in one year.
- Grew active email database organically 120% to 120K+ subscribers
- Drove 70% growth year over year in leisure hotel bookings on sftravel.com
- Increased social referral traffic from 2% to 35% of total traffic to sftravel.com
- Created partnerships with The Bold Italic, Karl the Fog, Pei Ketron and Priime (just to name a few)
- Built the Fight Club Facebook page to more than 1 million fans/likes (the 1st movie title to do so)
- Named "30 and Under" Emerging Leader by California Travel Association
- Winner of the 2012 Magellan Gold Award by Travel Weekly
- Presented on achieving success with limited resources at SoMeT 2014
Hi, my name is Dan. I'm an experienced content and social media marketer. During work hours, you'll find me working at San Francisco Travel inspiring people through compelling, useful stories to visit San Francisco. I think content and social media is the best mediums to do this. When I'm not at work, I'm thinking about where I want to travel to next, reading a book (I'm trying to finish 25 books this year), or thinking about where I'm going to eat next (I'm a foodie).
For the past 10 years, I have been inspiring and engaging people through content and social media for a number of different brands in music, entertainment, tech, and most recently, travel. The best way to engage an audience through social media is to be useful. With this tenent in mind, I've created content and spoken at conferences around the country to share my knowledge.
The purpose of my site is to share the story of myself and to create a space to share my opinions. Feel free to look around and get to know me.
- If You're Not Paying Attention to Your Influencers, You're Burning Money
- #SBizHour 29 - Say Yes to Instagram
- 44 Social Media Tools Recommended by the Pros
- 43 Twitter Accounts Everyone in San Francisco Should Follow
- How to Achieve Success With Limited Resources
- 4 Creative Uses of Instagram in Destination Marketing
Where to start? Let's start right here: I have quite a lot of passions in life. They are music, food, travel, reading and social media (in no particular order).
My love of music has evolved over time. First I wanted to be in a band and make music. I played trumpet when I was in middle school and bass in high school. After flirting with those musical instruments for some time, I realized I have no musical talent. Although I was down about my lack of talent at the time, I have continued to make music a big part of my life, from attending countless shows and festivals with friends, to volunteering for the local radio station in college. The coolest part about the radio station gig in college: I got to go to shows for free. Today, you can see what I'm listening to by subscribing to my Spotify playlist. Be warned: I update it on the regular.
Some people follow their hearts, I follow my stomach. It has taken me to special places in my life. My motto is "If it's edible, I'll try it once." This has led me to eat various insects, weasel coffee and a beating snake heart. No dining experience is too high-brow or low-brow for me. I live for this stuff.
After moving to San Francisco four years ago, I made it a goal of mine to travel internationally once a year. Since making that goal, I've been to:
- Vietnam: Ho Chi Minh City, Hoi An, Hanoi and Halong Bay
- Germany: Munich (for Oktoberfest) and Berlin.
- Czech Republic: Prague
- Russia: St. Petersburg and Moscow
- South Korea: Seoul and Busan
- Japan: Tokyo
- Belize: San Ignacio and Caye Caulker
- Thailand: Chiang Mai, Nan and Bangkok
- Malaysia: Penang
When I'm not exploring the world, I'm out and about in the place I call home, San Francisco. Where should I go next year? Help me decide.
Reading has always been a passion of mine, however I've always found an excuse in the past not to pursue it. Last year I stopped finding excuses and I read more than one book a month. As many have said before me, the brain is a muscle and you need to exercise it. A great place to start is Ryan Holiday's Reading List. My goal this year is to read 15 books. My reading list.
I fell into social media (before it was coined that) through my love of music. Back when MySpace was still a thing, I was tasked with managing a few MySpace pages for musicians and bands. That's essentially how I got my start.
Since then, I've actively built communities and created engaging content for brands such as Fox Home Entertainment, EA Mobile, and for the past four years, San Francisco Travel. Through my work at San Francisco, I've had the privilege of becoming a panelist and keynote speaker at several conferences. I love spreading knowledge of the craft I've been honing for the last 10 years. See my work.
I've been lucky enough to have written articles that connect with people around the world. Here is a sampling of what I have had published.
SAN FRANCISCO TRAVEL
- Best Burritos in San Francisco by Neighborhood
- San Francisco's Best Dim Sum by Neighborhood
- The Top Places in San Francisco for the Movie Buff
- Best Bowls of Ramen in San Francisco
- A City of Market-Fresh Cocktails
- San Francisco Neighborhoods: Endless Possibilities
- Best Ice Cream in San Francisco By Neighborhood
- Best Restaurants for Groups Around Moscone Center
- Top Places to Grab a Sandwich in San Francisco
- Best BBQ in San Francisco by Neighborhood